Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Cleansing

(I Peter 5:8) – Be sober, be on the alert! Your adversary the devil is prowling around like a roaring lion, looking for anyone he can devour.

Have you ever been at a place in your life when all seems well? For a change everything was going along peacefully. You found contentment and are happy to finally get there after much struggling. For a season, you continued to enjoy this contentment, then one day something happened that knocked you sideways, and you were plunged into a season of pain, hardship, and in some cases devastation.

The Bible is clear that the devil is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (I Peter 5:8). It did not say he was a roaring lion but that he is like a roaring lion. I have seen pictures of lions without teeth and that is the picture of what the devil looks like. He seems tough and scary, but when he opens his mouth to roar at you, you realize to your amazement that he is toothless.

When you are plunged into seasons of pain and hurt, the toothless devil is roaring; and his roar can cause you some pain, as well as concern. God knows that the devil will roar into your life from time-to-time. His roar can be painful, but God will use the pain to begin His cleansing work in you. He begins to prune away things that seem perfectly fine and necessary to you.

I remember a time when I was finally in a season when I thought I was going to get some rest from my struggles and valleys. In the midst of this season, a friend decided to share some of my personal struggles with some of her friends. This friend had known me for a long time, and she knew I was a private person, yet she chose to share my personal information. This caused me great pain, and in the midst of my pain, I asked God why? His response was, “I am in the process of pruning unnecessary relationships out of your life so I can draw you closer to Me.” I can truly say though, the pruning was as painful as it was necessary.

Please ponder and meditate on this:

What is God currently pruning in your life?

No comments: