Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Prophet’s Pursuit

Hosea 1:2-3 (CSB) - When the Lord first spoke to Hosea, He said this to Him:  “Go and marry a promiscuous wife and have children of promiscuity for the whole land has been promiscuous by abandoning the Lord.”  So he went and married Gomer daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

 

Hosea the prophet was known as the prophet of restoration, and his name means “Yahweh has saved.”  It is therefore not surprising that God would use his life to demonstrate to you His saving and redeeming grace. 

 

The story of Hosea is a story of how God restores backsliders who have strayed away from Him.  When I began to reflect on the pursuit of God, I could not help but be moved by the story of Hosea and the amazing love God has for us.  Those whom God has chosen, He openly pursues with a tenderness and love that is measureless. 

 

God is consistent in His pursuit even when time and time again we turn away from Him.  He faithfully and consistently pursues us, as demonstrated by the command He gave Hosea to marry the prostitute. 

 

The story of Hosea is a clear indication of the love of God for all His children.  When God instructed Hosea to marry a temple prostitute, I can well imagine his reaction to God’s command.  It probably went something like this: “I know that I am not hearing from God.  I am missing something here.  What will my family and friends say about me?  I will be the talk of the town because they will probably think that I have lost my mind.” 

 

Hosea did not hesitate to follow the instructions from God because He had a relationship with God and trusted his ability to hear and follow God’s instructions.

 

There are times when God will ask all of us to do something out of the norm and we must also believe and move out based on what we hear God speaking to our hearts.

 

Please ponder and meditate on this:

 

What has God asked me to do that does not appear normal?

 

No comments: